THE IMPACT OF JOB SATISFACTION ON THE LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE
1.1 Background To The Study
It is a general understanding that job satisfaction is an attitude towards job, in other words job satisfaction is an affective or emotional response toward various facets of one’s job. A person with a high level of job satisfaction holds positive attitudes towards his or her job, while a person who is dissatisfied with his or her job holds negative attitudes about the job. Job satisfaction is a result of employees’ perception of how well their job provides those things which are viewed as important. Job satisfaction is also defined as reintegration of effects produced by individual’s perception of fulfillment of his needs in relation to his work and the surrounding.
Furthermore, Job satisfaction represents a complex assemblage of cognition, emotion and tendencies. There is no definite way of measuring job satisfaction, but there are varieties of ways to identify when an employee is satisfied or dissatisfied with his or her job. A questionnaire can be used to measure job satisfaction, in this method, it measures the satisfaction with the different dimensions or facets of the job by the employee and sum of all satisfactions scores will be taken as the overall job satisfaction
Almost any job related factor can influence a person’s level of job satisfaction or dissatisfaction and there are a number of factors that influence job satisfaction. The major ones can be summarized by recalling the dimensions of job satisfaction and they are pay, the work itself, promotions, supervision, workgroup, and working conditions.
Moreover, employee performance very much depends on perception, values and attitudes, there appear to be so many variables influencing the job performance that is almost impossible to make sense of them.
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
All efforts made by the management to see to it that their employees carryout their daily assignment efficiently and effectively for the organization to attain to its goals and objectives have proved abortive. This has posed a serious challenge to the organization.
The main cause of this problem is that most of the employees are not well motivated. Below is the problems, this study intends to resolve;
- How to create an environment, which will enable the organization to recruit, train and motivate their employees.
- The ways of enhancing the job of an employee’s so that they can work more efficiently and effectively.
- The things to do in other to reach to the satisfaction and self actualization of the employees.
- The strategies that should be taken into consideration towards achieving the goals and objectives of the organization with the aid of motivating employees.
1.3 Research Questions
- How does the efforts made by banks to raise their workers job satisfaction practically work?
- To what extent banks are successful in satisfying their workers for their pay packages, job security and reward system?
- How employees’ job satisfaction influence their job performance? This study is conducted to find out the answers of these questions.
1.4 Objectives of Study
The objective of this study is to find out the impact of employee job satisfaction on the level of performance. More specific objectives are outlined in the following:
- To determine strength of relationship between employee pay package and employee job satisfaction.
- To ascertain nature of relationship between employee job security and employee job satisfaction.
- To study the link between employee reward system and employee job satisfaction.
- To measure the impact of employee job satisfaction on employee job performance.
To suggest ways to further enhance the workers satisfaction for their job and that will, in return, result in rise their work performance
The following hypotheses are taken for the study:
H1. There is positive relationship between employee pay package and employee job satisfaction.
H2. There is positive relationship between employee job security and employee job satisfaction.
H3. There is positive relationship between employee job reward system and employee job satisfaction.
H4. There is positive relationship between employee job satisfaction and employee job performance.
1.6 Significance Of Study
. The study is important as it will highlight the factors that employees view as enhancing job satisfaction leading to improved employee performance within their organizational context. The management of companies and organizations will find the research helpful in improving staff morale and bringing about job satisfaction of their employees. An employee who achieves success in his or her job and whose needs are met in the work place would be a happy employee that would strive to maintain excellence. In addition, the study will recommend adoptable policies and strategies for mitigating organizational correlates of job dissatisfaction.
1.7 Scope And Delimitation Of Study
This research focused on the impact of job satisfaction on the level of performance
- Job satisfaction can have an impact on employees‘ performance, which in turn could lead to an increase of productivity among employees. The study concentrated on finding out the causes of job satisfaction and dissatisfaction among employees (senior and lower level) and determines whether there is a difference in the way the senior and the junior workers perceive the job satisfaction and employee performance
1.8 Limitations Of Study
Limitations experienced in the course of this study are basically centered on problems relating to:
- Difficulty in generating reasonable, adequate and reliable information from respondents- Respondents tend to provide information which they feel the researcher would be pleased to get, which may not be the right information.
- Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
- Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
- Busy schedule of the respondents- The workers of Agip Oil Company who will be the respondents of the questionnaires may have busy work schedule thereby making them to provide answers to the questions hurriedly, which can affect their answers negatively.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
Employee: An individual who works part-time or full-time under a contract of employment, whether oral or written, express or implied, and has recognized rights and duties. Also called worker.
Satisfaction: refer to discharge, extinguishment, or retirement of an obligation to the acceptance of the obligor, or fulfillment of a claim.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost, and speed. In a contract, performance is deemed to be the fulfillment of an obligation, in a manner that releases the performer from all liabilities under the contract
Salary: Agreed-upon and regular compensation for employment that may be paid in any frequency but, in common practice, is paid on monthly and not on hourly, daily, weekly, or piece-work basis.
Incentives: Inducement or supplemental reward that serves as a motivational device for a desired action or behavior.